West Hartford’s favorite son, Jonathan Harris, was formally endorsed by the West Hartford Democratic Party to run for Governor of Connecticut on the Democratic ticket last evening of March 8th at the West Hartford town hall.
From the Hartford Courant article: “I get things done,’’ the 53-year-old Democrat told more than 50 supporters gathered on a sidewalk in West Hartford Center. “I have the ability to hit the ground running on Day 1 and tackle our toughest challenges.”
Harris’ platform includes support for paid family leave and pay equity for women as well as investments in job-training programs to encourage young people to settle in Connecticut.
An attorney who also served as a State Senator and State Consumer Protection Commissioner, Harris has been formally exploring a run since April and has raised more than $200,000.
“Jonathan’s eye has always been on the horizon,’’ said state Sen. Beth Bye, who has known Harris for 17 years and has endorsed his gubernatorial bid. “He’s always had big ideas.’’
“Jonathan was instrumental for putting West Hartford on the map,’’ said the town’s current mayor, Shari Cantor. “We would not be ranked one of the top communities in the country without the added vitality and economic development that Jonathan foresaw and helped navigate through.’’
A phrase was taught to him by his parents and grandparents. “When something is wrong, you stand up and you fight to fix it,’’ he said. “You treat everyone with dignity and respect. This is what I was raised to believe.”
If you would like to donate and support Jonathan’s campaign – please visit his website here
To read more about Jonathan – here are just some of the articles
- Connecticut Mirror
- NBC – CT
- WTNH Channel 8 in New Haven
- Jonathan Harris’ Facebook Page is here – facebook.com/harrisforct
This is such an exciting time for our town! Jonathan Harris officially announced his run for Governor last Saturday! It is now time for us to capitalize on this.
As such, I am moving our DTC meeting from March 15th to March 8th. The purposes of this meeting will be to officially endorse Jonathan Harris and to elect our Officers for the coming two years. We will have some other business to discuss as well.
We will also have a meeting on March 27th at 7 PM in Town Hall Auditorium. The purpose of this meeting will be to endorse our slate of delegates to the State Convention. You will be hearing from your District Chairs in the days to come regarding delegate selection.
What a proud time to be a West Hartford Democrat! I look forward to seeing all of you and working with you in the coming months. Thank you. Go! Fight! Win!
Town Chair, West Hartford Connecticut Democrats
State, Congressional & Local Conventions
DEMOCRATIC TOWN COMMITTEE (DTC) CALENDAR
● March 6: Town Committees Primary date ● March 7: Town Committees begin term
● March 7 – April 5: Town Committees must vote and select their officers
DELEGATE SELECTIONS CALENDAR
● Prior to March 9: State Party Chairman appoints Pre-Convention Rules and Pre-Convention Platform Committees
● March 27– April 3: Town Committees select delegates for all conventions
● April 4: Delegate certification forms due to Town Clerk
● April 13 – April 23: Democratic State Central Committee elections and Permanent Convention Committee elections ● State Convention: May 18 - May 19
● U.S House of Representatives Conventions: May 9 – May 29
● Multi-Town State House Conventions: May 9 – May 29
● State Senate Conventions: May 9 – May 29 ● Judge of Probate (multi-town): May 9 – May 29
● Local (Single-Town) Election Endorsements: May 22 - May 29
(These include State Wide Candidates,Registrars of Voters, State House Districts and Judge of Probate)
● August 14: Primary Election Day
● November 6: General Election Day
West Hartford Democratic Town Committee (WHDTC) will hold District caucuses on January 11th and 12th 2018. All caucus session will start at 7:00 pm. These caucuses will endorsed candidates for elections to the WHDTC for the next two years. These term will start on March 1st, 2018.
If you are a registered Democrat in West Hartford, you can participate in these caucuses. The location of your caucus will be at the location you last voted in the 2017 election. See the list below.
The following are the dates and locations of each Caucus:
January 11th, 2018
District 1 – Aiken Elementary School
District 2 – Bristow Middle School
District 3 – Town Hall
District 4 – Elmwood Community Center
District 5 – Wolcott Elementary School
District 6 – Conard High School
District 7 – Butterfly Chinese Restaurant
District 9 – Hall High School
January 12th, 2018
District 8 – Braeburn Elementary School