Deb Polun, Board of Education
Deb Polun is a West Hartford resident and school parent whose children attended Aiken, King Philip and Hall High School. Her son, Jordan, is a 2016 Hall High School graduate and a sophomore at University at Albany; daughter, Megan is a Junior at Hall. Deb and her husband Ian, an educator, chose to make their home in West Hartford in 1999 because of its excellent schools and diverse community.
Deb is Senior Director for Policy & Outreach at the Community Health Center Association of CT, working in health care policy, advocacy and communications. She has been involved in health care policy for almost 20 years.
Her community service includes:
– WH Advisory Commission for Persons with Disabilities
– League of Women Voters of Greater Hartford
– Mentor, West Hartford Public Schools
– Jewish Community Relations Council
– leadership positions at Congregation B’nai Tikvoh-Sholom
Deb is a graduate of the University of Connecticut (M.A., Social Psychology, 1997) and Tulane University (B.S., Psychology and Sociology, 1994).
In running for the Board of Education, Deb’s priorities include:
– enhancing residents’ engagement with our schools and programs, including the arts, athletics, academic achievements and community service. Our whole community should feel invested in and proud of our schools’ success;
– promoting democracy and civic engagement through the schools, so children and their families are empowered to participate in the democratic process;
– integrating a focus on health and wellness into the school day, including an emphasis on the mental well-being of students, families and faculty; and,
– protecting our schools and school programs, with an eye towards innovation, embracing ideas used in other school systems that have faced similar challenges.
To see the rest of the Board of Education Democratic candidates – at this page